Thursday, December 10, 2015

Oh Christmas Tree

This morning, for the first time, my phone alarm didn't go off and I overslept by a few minutes.  

Yikes.

I hope things go better as the day goes on.

All the gifts that needed to be shipped have been shipped, the menus are (somewhat) planned, I'm pretty sure everyone has something to open on Christmas morning and aside from the food shopping...well, I think Christmas can now happen.

I've done things different ways on a different years...shopping all ahead of time and all last minute.  Both worked and the deed got done so my thought is do what works for you.  I'm a bit ahead of the game this year and it feels good...though I've also hit my max budget and my max patience for all the crowds.

=0)

I sent the younger boys to go and get a tree this year...not the first time I've done that.  No instructions except it can't be taller than my 6'2" son.  I have no preference as to style, shape...just height because we have a little house and a lotta people coming through here.

While they did that, I cooked dinner...in the form of picking up the telephone and saying 'please'.  I did drive to pick it up...so there's that.

=0)

I love the element of tree surprise...we never quite know what we're going to get but they always do such a good job.  And that guy that I like so much?  He's the lighting expert.  I usually just advise while having a glass of wine...you know, the whole 'you missed a spot' thing.

I swear, he's the best sport ever.  He might live with only one female in the house but pretty sure I have enough craziness to make it seem much worse...yet he says nothing.  Nada.  Zip.  He smiles and rolls his eyes and pours me another glass of wine.

We've got a good thing going.

=0)

I love Christmas trees and this one smells SO good!  

The fog rolled in last night while we were eating supper and that whole gloominess that comes with it.  It's damp outside and the rain is coming...just in time for our big party on Sunday.  We've done it before and it always works out but it's so much easier to have 50 college students in a little space if they can eat in the garden.

Oh well...we'll see what happens.  They always have fun no matter what.

The list is made and today I'm running all the errands.  Costco and Trader Joe's and the dry cleaners and then there's stuff to go to the attic and a cabinet that's half painted (and will probably stay that way for the next 5 years, but it's on the list) and the dog needs a bath and there is another party to go to tonight.

Tis the season to be busy.  Fa la la la la la la la la la.


I know I should head out soon but the house is so blissfully quiet...every male has left the premises and everything is still.  Oh, how I love a still house. 

I love how God gives me the quiet times following chaos...and the chaos following the quiet.  There doesn't seem to be much 'in between' of those two things and because of that, I find so much joy in both.  The story of Jesus birth seems much like that...the hustle and bustle of being counted and finding a place to sleep and the baby being born followed by a bit of calm.  That for a bit, before the chaos began, God just smiled upon that little baby and let him sleep in his mothers arms for the night.

And so, I'm going to sit in my quiet for a bit and enjoy the gift...I'm thankful for it.

=0)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...